Dr. Bruce is a leading authority on complex tumors of the brain and skull base. He leads a multidisciplinary effort as Co-Director of the Brain Tumor Center and Director of Skull Base Surgery at the Columbia University Medical Center. Dr. Bruce specializes in the surgical treatment of gliomas, meningiomas, pituitary tumors, skull base tumors, craniopharyngiomas, and pineal tumors. His surgical expertise includes extensive experience with minimally invasive techniques and stereotactic surgery as well as surgical alternatives such as radiosurgery. This broad expertise allows treatment to be tailored and optimized for individual patients according to their needs.
As Co-Director of the Brain Tumor Center at the Bartoli Brain Tumor Research Laboratory, and The Pituitary Tumor Center, Dr. Bruce leads an NIH-funded translational brain tumor research effort with interests in immunotherapy and drug delivery systems. In addition to his laboratory research interests, he is actively involved in experimental clinical protocols for the treatment of brain tumors.
Dr. Bruce received his BA degree in biological chemistry with honors from the University of Virginia in 1978 and his MD degree from UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in 1983. Following an internship in General Surgery at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, he served as a medical staff fellow in the Surgical Neurology Branch of the National Institue of Health from 1984-1985. Between 1985 and 1990, he completed a neurosurgery residency at the Neurological Institute at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center. Following completion of his residency, he began his tenure at Columbia University Medical Center.
Dr. Bruce is a past president of the New York Society for Neurosurgery and serves on the editorial boards of Neurosurgery and Current Surgery. Additionally, he serves on the Executive Board of the Joint Section on Tumors for the AANS/CNS, the Scientific Advisory Council for the American Brain Tumor Association, and the Goldhirsch Foundation. He is a member of the AAcNS and is Secretary/Treasurer of the Society of University Neurosurgeons.
Dr. Bruce’s special interests include Brain Tumors, Skull Base Tumors, Pituitary Tumors, and Gamma Knife Radiosurgery.
TO THE POINT
- 30 years of experience
- Leading authority on complex tumors of the brain and skull base
- Co-Director of the Brain Tumor Center and Director of Skull Base Surgery at the Columbia University Medical Center
- Co-Director of the Brain Tumor Center at the Bartoli Brain Tumor Research Laboratory
- Co-Director of Pituitary Tumor Center at the Bartoli Brain Tumor Research Laboratory
- Past president of the New York Society for Neurosurgery
- Serves on the Executive Board of the Joint Section on Tumors for the AANS/CNS
- Serves on the Scientific Advisory Council for the American Brain Tumor Association
- Bachelor’s of Science in Biological Chemistry
- Medical Doctorate from the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Brunswick, New Jersey