Dr. Sloan is an award-winning and respected leader in the field of Neurosurgery with deep experience in the pathology and treatment of gliomas and other brain cancers. He currently serves as the Director for the Brain Tumor and Neuro-Oncology Center at University Hospital at the Cleveland Medical Center as well as being the Vice Chairman for the Department of Neurological Surgery at the Center. In addition, Dr. Sloan is a Professor of Neurosurgery at the Case Western Research University School of Medicine (CWRU). Prior to CWRU, Dr. Sloan held positions at many of the nation’s top hospitals for Neuro-Oncology including the University of South Florida H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute and the Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute both in Tampa, Florida, the Grace/Sinai Hospital and the Children’s Hospital of Michigan, Wayne State University and the Karmanos Cancer Institute, all in Detroit, Michigan.
Dr. Sloan received his graduate degree in Biology from Yale and his medical degree from Harvard followed by fourteen years of postgraduate study at prestigious institutions such as UCLA’s School of Medicine and the MD Anderson Cancer Center. He is certified by both the National Board of Medical Examiners and the American Board of Neurologic Surgery. His clinical and research interests focus on the biology and treatment of tumors of the brain and spine.
Dr. Sloan has been recognized by his peers as one of the “Best Doctors in America” since 2003 and as one of the “Top Surgeons in America” since 2007. In 2014, he was elected President of the Ohio State Neurosurgical Society.
Dr. Sloan’s research on glioma vaccines and glioma stem cells has been funded by the National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute, the Ohio Third Frontier organization, American Society of Clinical Oncology, American Brain Tumor Association, Adult Brain Tumor Consortium, Howard Hughes Medical Institute and other national organizations, and he is currently helping to develop a new generation of neurosurgical simulators.
Dr. Sloan has authored more than 135 publications in peer-reviewed journals, as well as numerous editorials, reviews, and book chapters made more than 525 invited presentations and holds four patents and investigational new drug applications. He serves on the editorial board of several neurosurgical and scientific journals and is active in national surgical organizations, including the American Association of Neurological Surgery and the American College of Surgeons Oncology Group. He appears regularly on national news broadcasts as a brain cancer expert.
TO THE POINT
- 15 years of experience
- Director Brain Tumor and Neuro-Oncology Center UH Cleveland Medical Center
- Vice-Chairman for the Department of Neurological Surgery UH Cleveland Medical Center
- Professor of Neurosurgery at the Case Western Research University
- Held positions at:
- University of South Florida H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
- Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute
- Grace/Sinai Hospital
- Children’s Hospital of Michigan
- Wayne State University
- Karmanos Cancer Institute
- President of the Ohio State Neurosurgical Society (2014)
- Recognized as one of the Best Doctors in America since 2003
- Recognized as one of the Top Surgeons in America since 2007
- Has been funded by:
- National Institutes of Health
- National Cancer Institute
- Ohio Third Frontier Organization
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Brain Tumor Association
- Adult Brain Tumor Consortium
- Howard Hughes Medical
- Has authored more than 135 publications
- Has made more than 525 invited presentations
- Holds four patents and investigational new drug applications
- Serves on the editorial board of several neurosurgical and scientific journals
- Member of the American Association of Neurological Surgery
- Member of the and American College of Surgeons Oncology Group
- Bachelor’s of Science in Biology from Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut
- Doctor of Medicene from Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts